Good news, Tennessee! Tallgrass Brewing Company is coming to our fair state. If you’re not familiar, Tallgrass is the largest brewery in Kansas, from the charming town of Manhattan. Founded in 2007, Tallgrass currently distributes its delicious beer in 14 states. We don’t get this excited about every new brewery that comes to TN but we love their beer and we think you’ll love them too!
Tallgrass recently completed a 60,000 square foot facility with a 50-barrel brewhouse and 30,000 barrel production in 2015. The new system will help them eventually get to 100,000 and nationwide distribution.
We’ve been Tallgrass fans since first tasting their beer at the Tupelo Craft Beer Festival in 2013. Their core beers are all tasty, and come in 4-packs of tallboy cans.
- Buffalo Sweat oatmeal cream stout
- 8-Bit Pale Ale
- 16-Bit Double Pale Ale
- Ethos IPA
- Velvet Rooster, the first-ever Belgian-style Tripel ale packaged in a can
- Zombie Monkie, a robust porter
Also available is the Explorer series, bigger and bolder beers, in 4-packs of 12 ounce cans with limited releases throughout the fall.
- Bourbon Barrel Buffalo Sweat: Tallgrass’ award-winning oatmeal cream stout, aged in bourbon barrels to create a rich, complex, medium-bodied beer with chocolate-espresso flavor and aroma with an oak barrel backbone. (September – December)
- Wooden Rooster: Tallgrass’ Belgian-style Tripel ale, Velvet Rooster aged in rye whiskey barrels. It has a candy-like sweetness and slight spice, with vanilla, oak and rye whiskey prominent in aroma and flavor. (October)
- Big RICC: Russian Imperial Stout with coffee and chocolate. Bold coffee flavor and aroma with strong chocolate notes. Full-bodied and great for sipping. (October – February)
- Bourbon Barrel Vanilla Bean Buffalo Sweat with Cinnamon: Tallgrass’ highly popular winter seasonal, Vanilla Bean Buffalo Sweat, aged in bourbon barrels and enhanced with crushed cinnamon sticks during fermentation. Cinnamon is prominent in aroma and flavor along with vanilla, chocolate and espresso, with warm bourbon undertones.
“Exploring new flavors and ideas, creating consistently remarkable beers and sharing them with beer drinkers is what makes us tick at Tallgrass,” said Jeff Gill, founder and CEO. “We’re extremely excited to spend a week hosting tap takeovers and Nintendo tournaments, and showcasing our awesome beers and can art while meeting craft beer enthusiasts all across Tennessee.”
Be sure to stop by a kickoff event this week and taste their beer!
- Tuesday, August 4th – Universal Joint, 6-9pm: 7 Tap Takeover, 3 permanent can placements. Samples poured from Tallgrass cans. Nintendo 64 Mario Kart Tournament
- Wednesday, August 5th – Tremont Tavern, 6-8pm: Sampling 8-Bit 16oz cans. On tap: Buffalo Sweat, 16-Bit, Pub Ale, any other Tallgrass low gravity draft options!
- Wednesday, August 5th – Bitter Alibi, 7-9pm: 7 Tap Takeover – all cans available as well. Samples poured from Tallgrass cans. Nintendo 64 Mario Kart Tournament.
- Tuesday 8/4 – Bearden Beer Market, 5:00 pm – Buy a pint, keep the glass.
- Tuesday 8/4 – Hops & Hollers, 7:00 pm – Buy a pint, keep the glass. Food truck on site.
- Tuesday 8/4 – Rec Room: Tallgrass launch party at 8:00 p.m. Ping pong tables, skee-ball machines, old school arcade games, darts and more.
- Thursday 8/6 – Craft Brewed: Ginger Peach Saison, Halcyon, 8-Bit and Zombie Monkie on tap. Pouring Ethos samples on the high grav side for IPA Day.
Disclosure: Tallgrass did not give us any swag, beer or other consideration for this post. This post is purely motivated by our love for their beer and excitement about being able to buy it without a 3 hour road-trip. Cheers!